There is no denying human life has become dependent on the internet and numerous web services within a few decades of the advent of the internet. It was owing to the internet and popular web applications that millions of people could survive the pandemic-induced lockdown. Brands hire web application development services to get functional, feature-rich websites and applications developed. However, developing a web application is not exactly a cakewalk. The agencies developing web apps need to focus on certain aspects, and they also need to check the apps and sites on some key parameters
The top web application development checklists for developers
Web application development is not only about making an app that looks stunning. To ensure the web apps and sites function without glitches and remain secure, web developers must abide by certain checklists in development phases. These are:
- Acquiring the domain and setting up SSL– After designing a website, it is necessary to acquire a domain name without delay. It is a prerequisite for making the website accessible to all. This is now a part of SEO. Some web development applications come with provisions for these.
- Finding a reliable hosting service- Without proper hosting, your site performance will not be good. Web hosting providers are aplenty, but not all of them offer similar services. A hosting agency may offer various packages to suit varying client usage needs. Based on budget, you can pick from shared hosting and dedicated hosting services. Some SaaS-type web development services come with dedicated hosting services, such as Shopify.
- Deploying SEO- Without proper SEO methods implemented, your website will struggle to become accessible to the target buyers. While some of the popular web development applications like Magento, WordPress, and Drupal come with inbuilt SEO measures, developers also deploy third-party plug-ins (such as Yoast SEO) to boost site SEO. A veteran website development agency will guide the clients regarding deploying the right SEO strategies on its site.
- Mobile optimization- It is well-known that billions of web users prefer mobile devices for web access compared to PCs. So, the web applications and sites have to be optimized for mobile devices. At the same time, the top web application development entities perform necessary optimization while developing websites. It is better to use web development tools that offer mobile-optimized themes. WordPress has plenty of such themes, and there are many other web development platforms that offer inbuilt mobile-friendly themes.
- Planning third-party tool integration- Based on the client requirements, web developers have to use various third-party tools along with the main website development platform/application. So, it is important to analyze the client’s requirements and choose the main application accordingly. For example, if MailChimp or Zoho online suite is required, developers need to pick a web development tool that is compatible with such third-party applications.
Choosing plug-ins/extensions carefully- Web development professionals often prefer using third-party plug-ins and extensions along with the main web development platform/tool. Such plug-ins are useful for enhancing website functionality. However, it is important to pick such extensions with care. Web developers have to select plug-ins that enjoy good ratings and reviews and solid support from the developer. Some plug-ins can be pretty costly and so using too many plug-ins can exceed the budget.
Generating an XML sitemap– The search engine crawlers need to find your website easily amidst the labyrinth composed of millions of websites! So, creating an XML sitemap is necessary.
Testing and debugging- While developing a web application or site, repeated rounds of testing are necessary. Performing periodic checks ensures flaws in web development are detected early. This helps in evading glitches and resolving hassles as cost overrun. Testing can be done on multiple levels, too. Veteran web developers run different types of tests for spotting coding errors and finding security loopholes.
Payment processing options- Nowadays, a majority of websites and applications sell diverse types of services and products. Users of such applications also pay for their subscription online even if they do not buy physical goods online. So, web developers need to figure out payment processing provisions while creating such applications and websites. Most web development platforms like Shopify and WooCommerce come with embedded payment processor support. However, it is possible to add more payment processors through extensions.
Keeping option for automated backups– While developing a website, it is necessary that developers focus on enabling the option for automated backups. This helps in keeping site data safe. Automated site data backup can be enabled by coding. However, many modern web development tools, including the SaaS model-based ones, keep this option enabled by default.
Performing image optimization- Every website and application has some images in it. Using high-quality and clear images is a prerequisite in web development. However, sites that contain too many high-resolution images suffer from file size issues. If the site or application size is too big, it may take longer to render-repelling a section of buyers. So, developers need to perform image optimization. There are third-party tools and platforms like BigCommerce ship with an inbuilt image optimizer.
Checking browser compatibility- Web users have plenty of choices when it comes to using desktop or mobile browsers nowadays. Gone are those days when the now-defunct IE used to be the default option for them. Nowadays, there are several mobile and PC-based web browsers, and their core technology is not the same. So, web developers need to check if the websites created by them have compatibility with the popular web browsers or not.
Enabling quick login- Whether a website is used for selling digital and physical goods or offers subscription-based news to visitors, it needs to have quick login options. Nobody wants to fill up lengthy online forms just to view the content of a website or to buy anything online. So, web developers should keep options for easy logging in using email id or social media services.
Tweaking for fast rendering– Web users are not known for their patience! Typically, they tend to discard websites that take longer to load. Even a few seconds’ delays can repel them. So, web developers need to deploy techniques that reduce site and application loading time. For this, discarding unnecessary media elements and tuning the UI is necessary. Choosing the right theme can make a difference, sometimes.
Designing the UI with care– The UI of a web application and site has to be appealing. Using the right color to reflect the brand theme is important. A healthcare agency website should not have dazzling or fluorescent hues, for example. The balance between text content and white space in the UI has to be optimal, as well. The UI should not look cluttered.
Checking security provisions– No web developer can afford to overlook the aspect of the application and website security these days. Instances of website security breaches have cost the MNCs and business tycoons dearly, several times. So, web development agencies pay special attention to deploying security measures while developing applications and websites.
Listed below are the web development security checklists for developers:
1. Site/application security- Web developers have to be careful about implementing site and application security measures. They have to develop websites using the latest security protocols. Based on the platform used, they may have to use third-party extensions to enhance site security levels.
2. Plug-in security- The plug-ins used in a website can contain loopholes the hackers may exploit. So, web developers need to check if the extensions and plug-ins they have picked are secure or not. This is what developers using platforms with thousands of plug-ins need to be careful about.
3. Updated application version- It is important that web developers resort to using the latest version of a tool, regardless of whether it is a CMS or PHP-based framework. Using the latest version of a web development tool ensures you get the most secure version. This automatically makes the website less vulnerable to newer security threats.
Wrapping it up
Developing a web application should not be tedious when choosing the right agency and picking from the top web development technologies. However, the application development checklists should not be overlooked, and web application development has to be done in a well-planned manner, in phases. Hurrying up things can lead to complications and cost-escalations.