Informative essays are written to produce a coherent, organized, deeply researched, and good fact-checked article on any specific topic. If you have already collected all the required research materials and kept all the essentials in mind, you are already off to a good start.
With all this information in mind, you might not always know what to include and what to exclude, what aspect to cover, where to give your personal opinion or even experience in your essay, also how long the paper should be.
Here are the tips you should know to gain knowledge about how to go on with your informative essay with complete confidence and excitement.
Here Are The Steps To Write An Essay
Writing an essay can be a straightforward task indeed. But a lot goes on in writing an essay successfully. But if you have never written an article before, then there is a lot of struggle that goes on with it.
Here are the steps you need to follow in order to write a successful essay:
- Choose The Type Of Essay
When you are starting to write an essay, firstly, you should know what type of essay you need to write. There are technically four types of essay groups:
- Descriptive Essay
For this type of essay, you need to be very detailed oriented. Every single detail and factor should be written correctly.
- Narrative Essay
Write the article and essay about a particular subject in proper order and in a story mode of writing.
- Persuasive Essay
This type of essay is written to try to convince the readers about a particular point of view.
- Expository Essay
Through this essay, you usually explain to the readers how to perform a specific process. These expository essays are written in a step-by-step process about how to perform any task.
- Brainstorm Your Topic
Before you start writing an essay, you first need to have a clear idea about the topic you want to write. You need to brainstorm the essay topics, and only then should you start writing. This process simply consists of sitting around and thinking about the different topics.
- Note down everything that comes to mind, as you can always narrow down the topics from them.
- You can use the process of clustering and mind mapping to brainstorm the method whenever a new idea comes to mind. This means noting down the important points about a topic or idea.
- The process is great when you are brainstorming ideas on a deeper level. You can also connect facts related to the topic.
- After this process, you will get a few topic ideas which are all viable options. From these options, you can choose one with which you want to work.
- Thoroughly Research The Topic
After you are done brainstorming and choosing a topic, the next step for you is to do thorough research. There are a lot of valid options through which you can conduct research.
You can sit with your computer or laptop, or you can also go to the nearest library for your research. If your research requires it, you can also conduct physical research by taking a survey or interview.
- Choose A Writing Style
The way you write your essay is according to your teacher or the type of topic you chose. When writing an essay, there are mostly three ways you can go about it. They are,
- MLA- Modern Language Association is a type of writing that is used for arts or humanities essays. This type uses the author-page number citation style of writing. This is common among school and college students.
- APA- American Psychological Association, which uses author-date citation style. These are used for social science and psychological essays and research papers. This type is the second most common type of writing style.
- Chicago Manual of Style– also called the Turabian, has two styles combined. The author-date style and the notes-bibliography type. This style is mainly used by college students and professionals.
- Develop Your Thesis
While writing a research paper or an essay, the most important statement of the whole article is the thesis statement. It is that one sentence that essentially informs everyone about what your writing wants to say.
Remember that all your facts and anecdotes should connect back with your central thesis. Don’t make your thesis too short or too broad; write as much as is needed.
- Make An Outline For Your Essay
The next step for you is to outline the points you will put in your essay. These outlines help you to get an idea of whether you are going the right way or not. Instead, whether your topic is logical and well organized or not.
Every type of essay has a different kind of outline strategy that you need to understand. For example, an argumentative essay outline differs from a descriptive or narrative. So, you need to prepare your outlines accordingly.
- Start Writing The Essay
Now that you have prepared the outline for your essay, you can start writing your essay. After you are done with your research and thesis writing, you have a much clearer understanding of how to write your paper now.
Once you are done with your writing, you would want to edit and re-edit your essay to make it sound what you have planned.
- Revise your work for clarity, structure, and consistency
- Make sure that you have put adequate information to support your thesis. Each paragraph should have importance to keep your readers interested.
- You need to make sure that each paragraph is cohesive with each other and doesn’t seem out of place at all.
- You also need to add transition words to ensure each paragraph is connected.
- Check For Spelling And Grammatical Mistakes
After you have completed your writing, you are not done entirely, though. You must read your paper thoroughly, look for spelling and grammatical mistakes, and correct them.
- Revise your essay for any technical error
- Check for grammatical, punctuation, and even spelling errors. Then you need to correct your mistakes.
- You also need to make sure that your sentences are clear and make sense.
- You also need to do a plagiarism check after you finish writing.
While writing an essay, you need to take care of a lot of things. It is not just scribbling words on paper or typing on a computer. A well-written essay or a research paper goes a long way and helps to boost your portfolio.